Friday, March 11, 2011

"Time on the Water".......Quote #3


"I went out on Van Vliet today, but no musky. There are probably those who are wondering just what I accomplish in the course of a day. Here's a guy who spends most of the day fishing for muskies and doesn't catch any. Well, looking back at my working years with the Associated Press, I wonder how many days I really accomplished anything there. I remember answering the phone a lot. One day I kept a log and tallied 99 calls I answered. There was one woman who called several times a day, and it seems I always picked up the phone on her calls. In the seven years I worked at the AP she never once asked for me. I've probably spent the equivalent of one day of my life telling other people that this particular woman wanted to talk to them.
The point of all this is that most of us don't really accomplish much that is memorable on any given day. Some days at the AP were very rewarding, but those days were rarer than days that I catch a musky. I have a feeling it's like that for most people.
So what did I accomplish today? I did what I wanted to. How often can a guy say that at the end of the day?"

-Bill Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment