Monday, June 28, 2010

garlic ring man

I wanted to share a little knowledge with my fellow fisher-people out there. Some of you already are aware of this but here goes.

I have been seeing a great deal about florocarbon leaders so I decided to try them.  I don't like tying thick knots as they clog with weeds and I'm sure fish can see them.  I bought a Berkley sleeve clincher and some #3 metal sleeves and small and large swivels and snaps. I used 20bl test for small fish such as pike and used 50lb test for larger fish such as muskies. I found that the leaders didn't have to be changed anywhere near as often and in the clear water of Eagle Lake the fish couldn't see them. I caught multiple walleye and pike, and changed the leader once in a week. I used a traditional metal leader and changed that in one day because it kinked and I also did not catch many fish on that set-up. The other added bonus was I caught a 47 inch muskie and he did the usual roll and was not cut up at all where a thin metal leader would have badly cut or marked him up.

I find the florocarbon leaders tough, abrasion resistant, transparent, non-kinking and very easy to make. I used leaders in length from 18 inches to 24 inches and was extremely pleased. I hope this info helps others out there.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the head's up....we leave for VBL next Sunday. Can't get here soon enough. I was just putting together my shopping list for Cabela's this weekend.

    What seems to be the preferred bait, jig color and/or pattern right now on eyes and 'skys...?

    Many thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete